1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Thanks for visiting BBQ Community, a new home for hardware enthusiasts, fans, overclockers, system builders and newbies! We plan to have many features and content in the near future- both staff and user driven- so do sign up and be a part of the community!
    Dismiss Notice

Under Construction Worklog Project Core XD

Discussion in 'Setups, Mods and Worklogs' started by Ian Duncanson, Oct 5, 2015.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 2 users.
  1. Ian Duncanson

Ian Duncanson Newbie

Australia Australia
    hi and welcome to this half buildlog... I say half as i'm halfway through and have decided to increase the forums i'm posting on to spread the build on a more local front.

Build log introduction

About the modder and build.

Welcome, my name is Ian Duncanson i am a 26 year old modder from victoria Australia i have been building and working on computers since i was 15. This is my third fully custom pc and one i wish to showcase, so lets begin.

The concept -

Simply with the age of ikea and the ability to customise along side the rise of the desk builds i have decided to design and build a desk based upon one of my favorite cases the thermaltake core x9. Now having built a previous desk before i know to an extent whats needed (my original build was a rush job so i had somewhere to play games and best utilise the limited space i had). The necessary goals to a great desk concept are outlined below and are my goals for this build.

Another note about me, im not the best when i comes to 3d drawing and renders so i do the majority by hand its never great but it give me what i need to work with.

this space is reserved for our sponsors starting with:

[​IMG]
    Thermaltake, without the faith that quite a few of their staff have put in me none of this would be possible. they have and will be supplying me with cases fans/controllers and watercooling gear

Goals:

- Fully modular desk solution
    - core values (moddable, versatile, astetically pleaseing)
    -light weight but strong.

Design-

The design is simple, 5 modules (2 x core x9 cases with 3 custom modules forming a desktop) the desk will be constructed out of aluminium and parts of a (few) damaged core x9's the custom parts will he powdercoated white to closely match the original cases.

Heres a couple of those sketchy drawings i mentioned disregard the measurements these changed many times upon realising i had inadvertantly rushed my measurements.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So we will be begining the construction and finalise the design on the fly. An old war saying is that every plan is a good one till the first bullet flies.

But first a very big thank you to some of my friends for the community, the support you have shown even at the early stages has been phenomenal and for that i thank you.

My first order arrived from thermaltake australia the other day i posted an unboxing ceremony on my facebook page (http://facebook.com/ianduncansoncomputermods)
    So i will skip this one as im sure you have all seen this beautiful case before.

Ok so maybe one or 2 photos

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now as much as i love the front grill design for what im doing its too hard to have replicated locally i was quoted over 300 dollars for material and cutting for a full sheet and i only need less than half of one :/

So another popular idea occured i will still have the front panel as a whole just not the mesh... so instead i have started to organise some dark tint perspex to be delivered for the build. But im getting ahead of myself

so im starting with the center as i want to be able to check my heights and measurements on the fly i have already changed a few measurements from the original drawing above...

[​IMG]

Alongside the partial assembilly of the front and rear frames for the center i also managed the bottom plate today. i still need to trim down the side frames which i havent shown as they are too long and wont be done till i have the 10mmx10mm angle needed to fit the top panels.

Ok so new change i have decided rather than trying to scratch build the 2 sides modules and center piece to cut down 2 more cases. so i went ahead and started with what i had here.

i measured my cuts and then went nuts with my jigsaw (in hindsight i should have used a grinder but alas mine has died... once i had the 2 pieces cut so the spare top piece can be fitted to the side.

i then tapped new threads in for the side panel to fit up. here we have the test fit with.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

i now need to build a couple of plates to fix the 2 halves together.

after some considerations about the proposed design of the center piece and talking to my boss at work, i have come u with a newer design for the center module.

[​IMG]

i also changed the material to a 0.70mm galvanised as it has more rigidity than the alluminium

[​IMG]

all cut and folded, now all that remained was to measure the new distance between the top and center rail of the case and make a turn out for mounting the center module. once i had that i measured it onto the side walls. and proceeded to cut them out, i included 3 pass throughs per side for the cabling

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

i also had to add a cutout in the base to accept the hard drive mount / ssd mount

now some test shots

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tags:
  2. Ian Duncanson

Ian Duncanson Newbie

Australia Australia
    ok so a nice leap and bound later and heres where we are at.

1. front and rear panels cut, shaped, and fitted ( all will be cleaned with files and grinders and sand paper when 100% ready to go of for powder coating)

so here are a few shots at various stages of the assembily.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

so that's the front , rear sides and base done, I have made one edit which you will see in later pics which was to enlarge the side fan holes, the reasons for this will become clearer at a later date. so all fitted together...

[​IMG]

now due to a glitch on the forum or maybe my pc... copy paste isn't working so imma fast forward for 1 last picture to show where I am at as of today...

[​IMG]

so to come,

- slot the side turn outs to mount up to the side modules

- fit inner railings to full cover lid for 6mm toughened glass

- await further parts from suppliers so I cant finalise the center module for powdercoating

- strip all cases 100% of paint

- powder coat all metal parts and prep and spray paint all plastics

- await potential sponsor response ;)

for now ill leave it at that.

Ian

The Sorcerer likes this.
  3. Amien

Amien Newbie

Great work so far, cheers! :D

4. The Sorcerer

The Sorcerer w00t!! Staff Member Owner/ Reviewer- Hardware BBQ

Home Page:
    India India
    I am really looking forward to see how this shapes up.